Saturday, March 18, 2017

SoL Challenge Day #18

I am learning a lot right now as a new teacher. Like, a lot. Every single day. My brain is saturated with information. 

Some things stay there. Some things are involuntarily swept away as new information comes barreling in. 

The things that stay though are shaping the edges of my teacher brain, and I've been thinking about one piece of advice in particular over the past few days.

"We have to respect teachers where they are at. We have to respect what they do well, even if we more prominently see their shortcomings. If we do not acknowledge and respect who they are right now, we will have very little impact on their potential growth."

This is paraphrased, but is the essence of what I heard many months ago. 

I feel like other teachers have given, and continue to, give me this grace. 

I hope that I give other teachers this same grace. 

8 comments:

  1. Love the idea of celebrating the strengths. Sometimes we only look at the weaknesses and that is what people begin to target. We do the same with the kids or their parents.

    Good reminder to keep focusing and looking for what we have and not what we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the here and now must be the starting point for any growth. This is profoundly true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a new teacher is so hard. It's good to keep that I mind not only for others but also for yourself. We all need a little grace. Teaching is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good reminder for people in general. Pay attention to what they do well, "even if we more prominently see their shortcomings." It's even good advice to apply to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a powerful statement! And it's true not just for teachers, but for everyone. We can't help people grow if we only focus on their deficits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to take in on your first year - and so brave of you to be completing the slice challenge!
    These words are powerful for all of us teachers no many how many years in: "We have to respect teachers where they are at. We have to respect what they do well, even if we more prominently see their shortcomings. If we do not acknowledge and respect who they are right now, we will have very little impact on their potential growth."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your post wholeheartedly. As a third year teacher, I still feel like I am learning so much, sometimes by falling flat on my face. But the teachers around me are always so encouraging and never say I told you so. It's nice that we can build a supporting community of peers. Thanks for sharing that insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. some of what you forget will return, come back to you later when it is most relevant

    ReplyDelete