Wednesday, March 22, 2017

SoL Challenge Day #22

I had two good moments today for every bad moment yesterday.

My favorite moment came at the end of the day when two students came into my room to waste time between school and practice. 

Both of these girls finished All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven two days ago, and have been anxiously waiting for me to finish as well.

"Have you finished yet?"

"Not yet. I will though. I promise!"

"Well... where are you in it? What can we talk about?"

I thought for a moment. I'm a few chapters in, but I keep flipping back to the epigraph by Ernest Hemingway.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places." 

When I looked up, they were giving each other a baffled version of side eye. 

"I didn't see that part."

"Me either. That's actually really cool. Who is Ernest Hemingway?"

Be still, my beating heart.

I listened and prompted as they unpacked his quote and asked Siri a slew of questions about Hemingway.

I drove home smiling, and was reminded of the beauty in this daily writing challenge.

Yesterday was hard. Today was easier. Thank you for lifting me up on the bad days so that I can look forward to the better ones.

1 comment:

  1. That would be a perfect moment for me! I often skip over those quotes and dive right in to books. I should slow down.

    ReplyDelete