Tuesday, March 28, 2017

SoL Challenge Day #28

Things I've noticed since beginning this challenge:

1. It is so challenging to write substantively for myself when I am giving tons of feedback on student writing. It's like my brain is rationing my ability to put words onto a page.

2. Writing through difficult days has made me better at navigating them as they are happening so there isn't quite so much emotional aftermath. I try to be a reflective thinker in general, but writing through the mess requires more from me, and gives me more in return.

3. I miss getting the amount of feedback on my writing that I did in college, but this process has encouraged me to start submitting my work to different places.

My brain is mush. There are more papers to respond to, but I am happy to do it. 

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree! It is hard to switch back and forth between teacher coach brain and writer brain. It seems like you've got the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling like I am hitting my groove now that I'm on Day 28. And in three more days I will miss the challenge to make myself write. It is such a motivator to write for an audience/community. But...it helps me to remember how my kids crave that audience also, and keeps me commenting for their sakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. This entire month has been a great practice in understanding of the kind of feedback my students want and need from me.

      Delete
  3. So important to reflect on the experience and use it to become a better writer and a better teacher. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brain mush. Brain fog too -- an actual diagnostic term. In the evening the fog rolls in. Writing does not always come easy at the end of a day of brain switching

    ReplyDelete